Saturday, January 24, 2009

Love her like Jesus

Last night I received a text from a friend telling me that her mother is in the hospital with little time left to live. This friend has been in my small group for the past two years and my heart breaks for what she must be going through. My initial reaction was to text her back and to let her know I was praying for her. And I did. I knew she had family nearby that was with her and that someone from the church would probably be going to pray with her in the hospital (after all...that's what pastors are paid to do, right?) But then I thought about how stretched our church staff is and wondered if anyone would have the time. And it dawned on me...wait a minute...I AM the church. I can't just assume that someone else is going to care for her needs. God has placed me in her life to be His hands and feet. So I offered my assistance in taking care of her children, but that was already covered. I only have one more thing to offer, and it's the thing that scares me. To go to the hospital and be there with her. It makes me uncomfortable for 2 reasons. First, I have never had to watch a loved one die...I can't relate. Secondly, I am very uncomfortable around people when they are emotional. I just don't know what to do or what to say! So as I'm sitting here contemplating this, knowing that I may be going to the hospital tonight, these lyrics from a Casting Crowns song come into my head:

Just love her like Jesus, carry her to Him
His yoke is easy, His burden is light
You don't need the answers to all of life's questions
Just know that He loves her and stay by her side
Love her like Jesus

Thank you Lord for telling me what I needed to know. I will be faithful.

1 comment:

Jeff Selph said...

Wow. That's a great post (minus the initial inspiration, of course).