Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The search for contentment

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven - Ecclesiastes 3:1

Do you ever feel discontent in your stage of life and just wish the next stage would hurry up and arrive? Or maybe long for the way things used to be? If so, then we have something in common :) I find it so hard to stay focused on the here and now.

I miss my college days. The freedom of only having to be responsible for myself. Friends who would call me up to talk or hang out just because they enjoyed my company. The excitement and passion that comes with falling in love. The fulfillment I found through doing well in school. Lots of good memories. But when I really think about it, at the time all I wanted to do was grow up. I was stressed and uncertain of my future. I wanted to hurry up and get married and start my life!

So here I am, married with children, still wanting to hurry on to the next stage. Looking forward to when the boys are all potty-trained. To when they will all be in school. To when they are old enough that I don't have to hire a baby-sitter (which may be NEVER..lol). To when we can go on a missions trip as a family. You get the point...

I spend so much time with my head in the past or the future that I fear I'm missing out on the blessings God has for me today. I know that each life stage comes with its own joys and challenges. So how do I slow down and just enjoy where I'm at? This is a lesson I've been learning slowly over the past few years. I've learned that with the right perspective I can be content and find joy even in the monotonous days of household chores and changing diapers. And I know that one day I will look back at this season of my life and miss it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts exactly, hon!