Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sacred Parenting

"If it was going to be easy to raise kids, it never would have started with something called labor" - Anonymous

I read this book a few years ago...probably the best parenting book I've read so far. Since I've got more parenting experience under my belt, I decided it was time to read it again! What makes this book unique is that instead of being a "how-to" book, it turns the tables and demonstrates how God uses our kids to change us and shape our souls. The message is "that the process of parenting is one of the most spiritually formative journeys a man and a woman can ever undertake...We cannot be the same people we once were; we will be forever changed, eternally altered."

Parenting teaches us:
  • To value character and service over comfort
  • To deal with guilt
  • To listen to God
  • To embrace God's joy
  • To confront cowardice and build courage
  • To handle anger
  • To look beyond glamour and into glory
  • Patience, long-suffering, and perseverance
  • What really matters in life
  • To improve our character
  • To sacrifice
  • To handle control and fear by leading us to trust and hope

Here is a tiny bit of wisdom from Chapter 1: "A God-centered parent acts out of reverence for God. Regardless of how my children treat me, I know that God wills that I move toward my children, to get engaged in their lives, to offer biblical correction and loving support. It doesn't matter how they respond to me as much as it matters what God has called me to do."

No comments: