Friday, January 16, 2009

How are you?

Have you ever noticed how the phrase "How are you?" has lost its meaning? It has become a common greeting, with the well-known response of course being "good" or something short and polite. Sometimes people pass me at church and say "Hi. How are you?" while they are in mid-stride walking somewhere else. Do they really want to know how I am? No. So I give the acceptable response. My husband tells me that's just the way it is and I have to not let it bother me. Maybe so. But I plan to be more intentional when greeting people. If I ask the question, I want a real answer. And if you ask me how I am...be ready...because I just might tell you the truth!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

O my gosh!! I totally agree with you. I feel the same way, especially after going through everything with Rebekah. That is so true!! I have habit now of telling people exactly how I'm doing whether it is good or bad. I think they are surprised when I start babbling on about my problems, but they asked!
By the way, I enjoy reading your posts!
Angie