Monday, January 5, 2009

I'm a Big Kid Now!

Isaac gave me a wonderful Christmas present this year. He decided to give up diapers!! This has been a very frustrating journey. Since he is over 3 1/2 years old, we know he has been capable of doing this for a long time. We have tried every way we could think of to motivate (and bribe) him to be a "big boy". But it always came down to two things: 1) His fear of pooping in the potty and 2) a simple lack of internal motivation. So when out of the blue he wants to start wearing underwear and has been accident-free for days, I am thrilled!

Last night I started thinking about this whole process and wondered if sometimes God views us the same way. Does He get frustrated when we refuse to do the tasks necessary for our growth? He knows we are capable. And He has given us clear instructions in His Word. But maybe we are too scared. Or maybe we flat out don't want to exert the effort necessary to mature. It's much easier to sit comfortably where we are.

My frustration with Isaac has been replaced with joy. I am proud of his accomplishment, the past a fading memory. My hope is that when I decide to be obedient to God, that His joy also overshadows the memory of my rebellion.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Love your blog. I can't believe how big he has gotten. I think God truly gives us children so we can understand our relationship with him better - just like you said.