Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Moth

My husband and I don't watch much tv. But one show that we are addicted to is LOST. It is like one long mega-movie. To get ourselves excited for Season 5 which is going to start this week we have been re-watching Season 1. It is just as awesome the second time, even when we know what is going to happen! A scene from the episode The Moth jumped out at me. Charlie is suffering from drug withdrawal and John Locke is trying to help him through it. John takes Charlie over to a tree and shows him a moth just about to emerge from a cocoon. He says "It's in there right now struggling, digging its way through the thick hide of the cocoon. Now, I could help it. Take my knife, gently widen the opening and the moth would be free. But it would be too weak to survive. The struggle is nature's way of strengthening it."

When I have a problem, I want God to reach down and fix it...take away my heartache...answer my prayers...instantly. But the struggles that we all face have a purpose. We don't like to go through them, but they shape us into the people we were created to be and make us stronger. As Paul said in Romans 5:4 "we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."

"The key is to recognize that God doesn't cause the problem, but He allows it in order to strengthen our wings so we can soar to our full potential" (Shook)




No comments: