Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sharing Our Stuff

Have you ever been blessed by someone giving you something for free? Something of real value given to you for nothing. My family has been. There have been so many people who have overwhelmed us with their generosity. We've been given meals after the births of our children. People have given us clothes and toys for the boys...so much that I have had to buy them very little (although that will change the way Jacob keeps ripping holes in his jeans!) Soon after moving here a family even gave us their swing set for our backyard. And I mean this was a nice one...not a piece of junk. We have been blessed with a babysitter that blows me away. I of course pay her when I ask her to watch the boys, but she asks to take them at other times and spoils them with her own money! I know the joy of receiving. But there is even greater joy in giving.

Now that we're done having kids and they are starting to grow up, I'm finally entering a stage where I can begin to give back. I want to bless others the way I've been blessed. When I have things of value that I no longer need, I admit that my first thought is to sell it. I've had plenty of garage sales...and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. But God has recently laid it on my heart not to sell any longer, but to give it away. I want others to know the joy of receiving something for nothing.

We attended a Vineyard church before moving here. One thing they did really made an impression on me. Once every month or two they would send out a newsletter that included classified ads. People could list things they had and no longer needed, services they had to offer, or needs. The catch was that everything was for FREE. It was a way for the church body to share their stuff and love one another.

I've heard of churches having rummage sales. What would happen if a church had a rummage sale, but accepted no donations? People could just bring in what they no longer needed and invite anyone who was interested to take what they could use. What kind of an impression and impact would that have on the community? (There's a KIA idea for you Brian!)

One thing I've run across that I think is awesome is a Yahoo group called FreeCycle. This one is for people who live in Ashland County. On the site people list things they have to give away or that they need...once again, all for free. It's so easy to give stuff away in this fashion because the people come to your house to pick it up! (And I've noticed that it is much easier to keep a clean house when I get rid of the "stuff" sitting around!)

Once again, I don't have a problem with people selling things. I've sold things in the past, and I'm sure I will in the future. But at this point in my life, I have been blessed so much that I can't help but want to do the same for others. The ideas I've shared in this blog are for those of you who feel the same way. Let's be an Acts Chapter 2 church and share our stuff with one another.

1 comment:

Kenny said...

Your post brings II Corinthians 9:12-15 to mind. Grace and peace sister.