Friday, March 13, 2009

Don't Forget the Roof!

A few weeks ago after the snow began to melt we noticed a drip in the ceiling of our garage. What began as a few drops quickly developed into a big problem. Insulation was soaked and the plywood ceiling began to weaken. Thankfully the leak is only over our garage and not over the house! Our insurance agent came out and gave us a check (praise God!) for the repair of our ceiling, but not for the repair of the faulty roof...which is obviously where the problem originated. So it just got me thinking. Wouldn't it be foolish if we fixed the ceiling in our garage, but not the roof?

But how often in our lives do we do that very thing? We see and treat the symptoms, but not the cause. When feeling depressed we try to make ourselves feel better by eating or going shopping. Or we distract ourselves with tv and video games. While that stuff might make us feel better, it overlooks the real problem. It's only a matter of time before our ceiling starts to drip again.

Finding the leak and fixing our roof can take time. Some might need the counsel of trusted friends, some may need professional counseling, but we all need to seek wisdom from the Counselor. I can normally trace most of my "leaks" back to one cause...not trusting and finding my identity in Christ. I want to focus my time on repairing the cause rather than just treating the symptoms.

As Jesus said in John 14: 26-27 "The Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid"

2 comments:

Kim said...

Amen,Amen AMEN!!!

Cleaning house and paused to check new blog postings. Your thoughts came at a moment I needed something to think about other than how much housecleaning I have left to do.

Thank you Jeanette.

With love,
Kim

Kenny said...

So true, so true. I think I'll go watch some TV and eat a box of Samoas!