Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Simple Prayer

"Give me enough food to live on, neither too much nor too little. If I'm too full, I might get independent, saying, 'God? Who needs him?' If I'm poor, I might steal and dishonor the name of my God" - Proverbs 30:8-9 (msg)

I don't know about you, but I have never prayed "God, please don't bless me too much". I would like nothing more than to have every one of my hopes and dreams come true...every one of my hurts healed. But if this happened, would I still feel my need for God? Would I still seek His wisdom and depend on Him to guide me? Would I still come to Him knowing that I am incapable of being the woman I desire to be without His strength and grace? Maybe...but not likely.

John Eldredge writes "Whatever might be the reason for our disappointments, there is no question that God uses them to draw us to himself. To wean our hearts from every other perceived source of life, so that we might come to find our life in Him. This may be why every one of us bears at least one major and lingering disappointment in our life"

Ouch. If what he says is true, then some of my prayers may never be answered. Some of my dreams may never come true. Can I be content with that? Will I allow my disappointments to draw me closer to Jesus so that He can fill the void? My hope is that I can. For God knows exactly what I need and I can trust Him to provide just the right amount of blessing in my life for me to thrive.

No comments: