Thursday, March 18, 2010

Testing

When I took my last final exam in college I was relieved to be done with tests. No more stress wondering if I had studied the right things and if I could recall it at the right time. No more letter grades defining my success. And while I have never taken another test on paper, I have been learning that testing in life never ends.

"A test is usually given to find out what we know. From a biblical perspective, a test is given to find out what we believe. Tests in school are often stressful, and so it is in life. Trials, tests, and temptations are difficult but necessary tools in the hands of God to strengthen and prove our faith" - Cynthia Heald

Peter writes "Dear friends, don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you...These trials are only to test your faith, to show that it is strong and pure. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold - and your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold. So if your faith remains strong after being tried by fiery trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world" 1 Peter 4:12, 1:7

I still don't like tests, but my hope is the same as Job's - that "when he has tested me, I will come forth like gold."

No comments: