Monday, March 22, 2010

Lessons From the Bus Line

Sending my kids to school is a wonderful thing, but also a bit scary. I've been warned about all the things they will pick up from other children...bad language, bad habits, and hearing information not intended for young ears. Sometimes I feel guilty for putting my kids in that environment, yet I'm pretty sure homeschooling is not for me.

So I was thrilled that the first thing Jacob learned "from the bus line" was on the other end of the spectrum. We were visiting Jeremy's grandpa and Jacob asked him to test his math skills in "times". He was asked, "What's 8x8?", and Jacob replied 64! Jeremy and I just looked at each other as if to say "Where did he learn that?!" I knew they were only doing simple addition and subtraction in first grade. After exploring Jacob's new skills we asked him where he learned to multiply.... "A 3rd grader taught me in the bus line." Needless to say he has one proud daddy :)

I know a day will come when peer pressure will have the opposite effect, but for now I'm encouraged that not everything our children learn from their peers will be a bad influence. I pray that God continues to surround my little boys with friends who will build them up and lead them in the right direction.


No comments: