Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Power of the Pen

I have been trained well to take notes. I took notes in high school, in college, at a job, during ministry events, and when given directions or instructions I needed to remember. So why is it that I have never taken notes before during my devotions? I have kept a journal of milestones and such, but never a daily account of the things I was learning through God's word. I have been getting up daily to read it, but not taking notes because I assumed that would take too much time. I failed to recognize the power of the pen.

Due to a challenge from a book that I'm reading, these past few weeks I have taken a few minutes after my Bible reading to jot down a scripture that stood out to me and my thoughts on its meaning and application. Whatever God is impressing on my heart. It really only takes a few minutes, and the results are surprising me. By writing down my thoughts on paper I can remember them much better! And it makes it easy to review the things I've been learning.

Listen to this instruction given to new kings in Deuteronomy 17:18-19 "When he sits on the throne as king, he must copy these laws on a scroll for himself in the presence of the Levitical priests. He must always keep a copy of the law with him and read it daily as long as he lives. That way he will learn to fear the Lord his God by obeying all the terms of this law." Someone could have just given the king a copy of the laws and let him concentrate on his other responsibilities. But God gave the instruction for the king to copy the laws himself, maybe because he knew that by writing the law by hand it would also be written on the kings heart. And what greater way for a king, and us, to have success than by knowing and following the word of God.

No comments: