Monday, October 3, 2011

Learning Something New

I love to look downstairs and see this.  Plenty of salsa, beans, and applesauce to last us through the winter.  I've always thought canning was a great idea "in theory" but was never willing to put in the effort...until a good friend coaxed me into it.  She has a garden and asked me if I would be willing to help with the weeding and canning.  In exchange I could have half of the goods.  I agreed right away!  Any job done with good company is a whole lot more enjoyable. 

For the apples, "Gramma Jan" and I took the boys to Scenic Ridge Fruit Farm in Jeromesville.  Wow, is that place huge!  I didn't know if the apple picking would be kid-friendly, but to my surprise it was perfect.  There were lots of trees and they were so low to the ground that even Brady was able to participate easily.  Later that day I got to show them how to make applesauce (which was a first for me too).  I was in awe of the Squeezo Strainer that allows you to dump in cooked apples (skin and all) into the hopper, turn the crank, and out comes the applesauce while discarding the skins and seed out the side.  Simply an amazing invention!  Although you do have to turn the crank the right direction for it to work properly as I found out :)

And while I'm on the subject of food, I have never been able to get banana-nut bread to turn out right.  This week as I was staring at two large brown bananas that no one in my family would dare eat, I decided to try a recipe given to me many years ago.  I now wish I would have tried it sooner!  The bread was yummy and moist and so I want to share it with anyone else who doesn't like to waste their brown bananas.

BANANA-NUT BREAD

3/4 c. sugar, 1/2 c. vegetable oil,  1/2 c. applesauce
1 c. very ripe mashed bananas (2 large)
1 3/4 c. flour, 2 t. baking powder, 1/2 t. baking soda, 1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. chopped pecans (optional)

Mix together and bake at 325 for 65 min.  Makes 1 loaf.


My dad was always the cook when I was a child.  He had a garden, canned, and cooked from scratch.  Of course I was never interested in learning it all then.  I suppose I'm making up for lost time now :)  And I'm very thankful for knowledgable friends and family who are willing to teach me!

No comments: