Monday, March 23, 2020

Quarantined with Teenagers - Week One

While we aren't officially quarantined (no one is sick), we are doing our best to follow the rules and be socially responsible.  Our first week at home was filled with some wins and some challenges.


I knew right away that doing school at home meant we needed structure.  I'm thankful that my boys are self-motivated and independent.  Even so, if given the choice, video games probably rank higher than school work on their list.  So here's what we did that has worked very successfully:





School Hours 8-3, with a one hour lunch/free time break.

Activities allowed during school hours:

  • Must check email and do assignments for all classes
  • Exercise
  • Playing instruments
  • Must do one household chore
  • Reading
  • Other non-screen activities

I have not heard "I'm bored".  There's been very little arguing.  And as you can see in the picture, they have even been helping each other with homework when needed!  WIN!  

Our schedule is typically very full.  While it's been disappointing to have all our plans cancelled, it does give us more time as a family in the evenings.  We've been watching movies together, playing games, and watching home videos (this always gets us laughing). WIN!

The most challenging thing for me right now is managing my own time in a way that reduces anxiety and isolation.  Trying to find that balance between "staying informed" and resting in faith.  It's hard to scroll Facebook anymore without feeling anxious, yet that's how to best stay "connected" to other people. Ugh.  How can I stay emotionally and physically healthy during this time?  

My goal this week is to set a schedule for me.  Not one that is rigid, but one that gives me a plan of how to productively spend my time.  I need to balance the "news" with faith-filled content that gives me perspective.  I need to exercise since I now have the time to actually do it consistently!  I need to clean those places in my house that NEVER get cleaned.  I need to intentionally stay in touch with people.  And whenever possible, I need to get outside (maintaining appropriate social distances, of course).  

This way of life may become our "new normal" for a while, so I plan to embrace the opportunity.  Being forced to spend time with my family is not a hardship.  Grocery shopping online is actually kind of nice.  I can do this.  You can do this.  May we come out of "quarantine" as stronger and healthier people, more thankful for everything we so often take for granted. 



No comments: