Friday, March 13, 2020

COVID-19

The topic of most conversations and facebook posts this week...the coronavirus.  This is my favorite meme.  What crazy times we're living in!  So it's no surprise that as I was reading my Bible this morning, the Scriptures were speaking to me about our current situation.  Let me start by sharing with you what I read from Hebrews 13:15-17.

"Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise-the fruit of lips that confess his name.  And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.  Obey your leaders and submit to their authority.  They keep watch over you as men who must give an account.  Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you."

A sacrifice of praise.  When events are cancelled that we were looking forward to, disappointment is guaranteed.  Our instinct is to complain and grumble.  My family has been affected by this as I'm sure yours has.  We've had awards banquets and sporting events cancelled.  A musical the boys have been preparing for postponed.  Tickets for CAVS games that most likely will not have spectators.  Not to mention the fact that with schools closing I will be going 3 weeks without pay.  There is plenty to grumble about!  This is when praise becomes a sacrifice.  To choose to think in a positive way and speak in a way that builds others up as opposed to creating more discontentment.  I have loved reading posts from people who are choosing to embrace the downtime with family and see the blessings that come with having calendars that are less full.  This is my challenge:  the next time you feel like complaining, look for the blessing and give praise instead!

Do good and share with others.  I have not been to the grocery store this week, so I have not witnessed the madness firsthand.  From what I've heard, there is a lot of hoarding and selfishness happening in our communities.  Don't buy more than you normally would.  Share with others what you have, including toilet paper!  Let's come together and be the good.

Obey your leaders.  I've read opinions on both sides.  I don't know what the "right" decisions are.  However, I trust that our leaders are more educated than I am on the issues at hand.  They are responsible for our communities and our country.  If they decide to err on the side of caution to try to contain the spread of this virus, we should listen and obey.  Yes, it will be an inconvenience.  But they were elected to make the tough decisions and we need to submit to that authority.  I would rather be inconvenienced than end up in a crisis.

These thoughts have challenged me and reminded me to make the best of these days.  Be wise, be kind, and don't panic - God is still in control.