Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Thoughts About Motherhood

Another undefeated ball season...way to go boys!  This was Jacob's (on right) last year of coach pitch baseball.  This fall he starts a new school and a new sport...football.  I am not looking forward to the worry I will feel each time he gets tackled.  He says "Don't worry mom, I'll have pads on!"  If only it were that simple.

There are 2 questions that Jacob asks a lot that can drive me nuts.  The first is WHEN?  "When are we leaving?  How long will it take to get there?  Where are we going to stop (and in what order)?When does football conditioning start?    When are they coming over?  How long are they staying?  When is dinner?  What are we going to eat?  Where are we going for vacation in the year 2016?" (ok, maybe not that bad)  My point is that he likes to know the details.  He probably gets that from me :)  I want to tell him "Don't worry about it.  I'll get you where you need to go, when you need to get there.  Enjoy being a kid.  Live in the moment.  Let me take care of the details!"

The other questions is WHY? "Why do I have to go to bed NOW?  Why can't I stay up longer to read?  Why do I have to pick up my toys?  Why do I have to take a shower?"  To which I reply "Why can't you just do what you're asked to do without asking questions???"  Today we have a surprise planned for Jacob...his dad is taking him to Cedar Point for the first time.  We knew they would be leaving early and he needed his sleep.  Last night when I said it was time for bed I was met with a ton of complaining. "It's summer...why can't I stay up later?"  I gave him a brief explanation that he needed his sleep and was expected to do as he was told.  The whining got so bad I wanted to cancel the trip!  I knew he had a great surprise in store for him, but all he could see was his present circumstance.

In the midst of my frustration I was struck with a thought....I wonder if this is how God feels about all my When's and Why's.  I want to know the plan and understand why things happen the way they do.  So maybe God wants to say to me, "Don't worry about it.  I'm in control.  Enjoy living in the present moment.  Let me take care of the details.  Trust me that I know what's best."  Maybe I should quit complaining because I could have a blessing waiting right around the corner that God is preparing me for and is anxious to give me.  Maybe God desires that same thing that I do as a parent...a thankful heart that is willing to trust and quick to obey.

Philippians 2:14-15 "Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe"

No comments: