Monday, March 12, 2012

An Inspiring Young Woman

I heard about this book from another blog and thought it would be a nice story.  I didn't realize that I would be profoundly touched and impacted by it.  If you read one book this year, I would recommend this one!

Katie Davis went to Uganda on a 3 week mission trip during her senior year of high school.  There she fell in love with a country and a people, feeling called by God to spend her life loving and serving them.  She is now 22 years old, in the process of adopting 13 girls, and leading a ministry that provides education, food, and medicine for hundreds more.  This book not only shares her personal experiences, but also the lessons God has taught her through it all...lessons we can all benefit from.

I normally like to share a quote or two that stand out to me, but this one is full of them....I don't know which to choose!  To give you a taste, this is from the intro, "I am much more terrified of living a comfortable life in a self-serving society and failing to follow Jesus than I am of any illness or tragedy."  I don't think it is possible to read this book and not feel convicted and compelled to serve the least of these in a greater way.

Katie's blog: http://www.kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/
Amazima Ministries: http://www.amazima.org/

No comments: