Monday, January 9, 2012

Vegetarian Chili



I just tried a new recipe for Vegetarian Chili found on page 141 of The Daniel Fast and have found that I really like it...even more than traditional chili with meat!  So I wanted to share my new find with you.

2 medium green peppers, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 T. vegetable oil
1 zucchini, sliced (I slice it lengthwise into quarters and then slice)
1 yellow squash, sliced (I just used a second zucchini)
2 T. chili powder (I only used 1 T. to tone down the spiciness)
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. ground red pepper (I omitted)
2 c. corn (I used 16 oz frozen)
2 cans (~16oz each) diced tomatoes, including liquid
2 cans (~16oz each) pinto beans, including liquid
2 cans (~16oz each) black beans, including liquid
1 can (4oz) mild green chilies (I omitted)
1 can (4 oz) tomato paste (I used a 6 oz can)

1. Chop and saute the peppers and onion in oil.  Add the zucchini, squash, chili powder, salt, pepper, and corn.

2.  When all the veggies are cooked but still firm, add the tomatoes, beans, chilies and tomato paste.  Stir.

3.  Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat.  Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.

It is stated to make 6 servings, but I got 8 (about 313 calories).

Enjoy!








No comments: