Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Free Will

I think I'm getting a taste of what's to come in my world of parenting... I'm in a position to offer some godly advice and wisdom to a young lady about dating and marriage. I know what God's Word has to say on the subject. And I've learned from my own experiences. But when it comes to giving advice, I am well aware that she has the free will to take it or leave it. I can't force her to make wise choices. I just hope she has come to trust me enough to follow my advice even if she doesn't completely understand it now. I love her and only desire the best for her life. So what if she doesn't take it? What if she gets hurt? Will I say "I told you so"? No. I know what it's like to make mistakes. I would hurt along with her. And I would hope that the next time she would make a better choice. But watching someone exercise their free will and make poor choices is very hard sometimes.

So I wonder how God feels to be in that position. He has written us an entire book of advice and wisdom on how to conduct our lives. Jesus has lived as a human and knows what it means to suffer and be tempted. He loves us and only wants the best for our lives. But we are able to exercise our free will. We can choose to follow his path or leave it. Do we trust Him enough to follow His counsel even when we don't understand it? And what happens when we make a poor decision? Some people may think that God is a judge and is quick to condemn and say "I told you so". But if he loves me even more than I love my children, then I know he would hurt when I hurt. And he would pick me up off my feet and encourage me to do better the next time.

My prayer is that this would be true in my life and in yours...

"I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws.
I hold fast to your statutes, O Lord; do not let me be put to shame.
I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free."
-Psalm 119:30-32

No comments: