Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Pulling Weeds

 ***Disclaimer: In preparing to write this blog post, I tried to find a google image for "weed hidden in flowers".  What I found, is that there are many people trying to figure out how to hide marijuana in plain sight!  That is not the type of weed referenced in this post.*** :)

Have you ever noticed how weeds like to hide?  Sometimes I can look at my flowerbed and think everything looks great.  Take a look at these irises...no weeds, right?


But when I took a closer look, I found a few of these....


The same can be true with our thoughts.  We can think everything appears healthy, but then a weed suddenly rears its ugly head.  

I have learned to identify these destructive weeds by my reactions.  I can be in a perfectly good mood, when all of a sudden a certain comment or circumstance can cause me to snap.  Have you ever been there?    It might be one of my kids asking "What are we having for dinner?", but in that tone that suggests he's about to complain about it.  Or it could be my husband telling me about plans he's made when I was anticipating him being home.  That's when the leaves part, and my weeds of bitterness can be clearly seen.

Why should we pull weeds?  

1. Weeds multiply quickly.

Hebrews 12:15 (MSG) states "Keep a sharp eye out for weeds of bitter discontent.  A thistle or two gone to seed can ruin a whole garden in no time."

One thistle plant can produce thousands of seeds.  They can spread and grow quickly.  Our bitter thoughts can do the same...coming out with more frequency and intensity.  

2. Weeds compete with other plants for nutrients, sunlight, and water.

Whatever we feed grows.  Whatever we starve dies.  Weeds steal what our plants need to thrive!  I try to watch what I'm letting into my mind.  What thoughts am I dwelling on?  The more positive and truthful thoughts that I focus on, the more I feed my faith.  When things are in a proper perspective, my bitterness lessens and is overshadowed by gratitude.

"Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable.  Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." - Philippians 4:8

3.  Weeds compete for space.

Roots spread underground and take up space in the soil.  The more space taken up with weeds, the less space is available for nutritious vegetables and beautiful flowers.  When weeds of bitterness are seen in my life, it takes away from the potential beauty that I have to offer. 

4. Weeds can hide the crop.

Have you ever gone to pick your vegetables and found that they were suddenly too big to be useful?  Zucchini is one that can grow quickly.  If it gets hidden and you don't pick it in time, the zucchini gets hard and seedy.  By keeping the weeds under control, the "fruit" is more easily seen.  If I want people to see Jesus through my words and actions, I need to keep weeding the garden.

These past 5 months of uncertainty and isolation have been a struggle.  Conditions are right for the weeds to flourish, but I am determined to keep pulling up those weeds when I see them, so that I can focus on the blessings and let the good stuff grow.  

The next time you see a weed in your garden or flowerbed, may these thoughts of mine cause you to also look inward and pull out any weeds of bitterness that have started to grow.  



 





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I needed your thoughts on weeding out discord in our lives.
Thank you Jeannette!