Wednesday, December 23, 2015
#struggles by Craig Groeschel
Like many of his previous books, Craig Groeschel writes in an easy-to-read manner full of stories, humor, and biblical truth. He focuses on 8 biblical values and how they are affected by social media. Here's a few things to think about...
1. Contentment - How much easier is it for us to envy and compare ourselves with others?
2. Intimacy - Is our online relationships taking the place of real friendships?
3. Authenticity - Do we crave affirmation from others in the form of "likes"and comments?
4. Compassion - Are we being desensitized to others pain and failing to love others well?
5. Integrity - Are temptations more easily accessed and kept secret?
6. Encouragement - Do we post things online that we would never say face-to-face?
7. Worship - Could our phones be becoming idols?
8. Rest - Is having a distraction always at our fingertips robbing us of rest?
I urge you to read this book and delve more into these topics. The key lies in finding balance. It was said that the "fear of missing out" is one thing that keeps us addicted to our devices. If you find that to be true, check out this quote: "Instead of the Fear of Missing Out online, what you really should be afraid of is missing out on the people right in front of you. You may be missing out on your children growing up. You may be missing out on enjoying an intimate marriage. You may be missing out on deep friendships filled with meaning. Is your fear that you're going to miss out on something causing you to miss out on what matters most?"
Appendix 1 at the back of the book gives us "Ten Commandments of Using Social Media to Grow Your Faith and Share God's Love". The list shows how we can use social media in healthy and uplifting ways. Appendix 2 suggests many safeguards against temptations/inappropriate content that can be downloaded on your computer and/or phone.
If you use social media on any level, I suggest reading this book and evaluating if changes need to be made. Even if you don't struggle deeply with these issues, I'm sure you know someone who does. It's the world we find ourselves in. This book will open your eyes to these struggles and enable you to take back control.
*I received a complimentary copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers in exchange for an honest review.