Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Job Opportunities

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine... - Ephesians 3:20

God has given me a testimony to share this month!  But before I get to the good part, I need to catch you up on what's been happening with my job.

I have been substitute teaching 3-4 days a week for a while now.  Then in December I was asked to fill-in for a 4th Grade Instructional Coach (a friend of mine) who was going on maternity leave for 6 weeks.  This position has a strong focus on math (my favorite subject)...helping kids before/after school and assisting in the classroom.  While working full-time didn't appeal to me, the job itself and the higher pay certainly did!  Not only that, but I still get paid for calamity days.  So all these delays and snow days we've had lately?  Yep, I'm getting paid to clean my house and spend time with my family.  Totally unexpected and wonderful.

Then came time for a decision.  My friend decided not to come back to work.  I was honored to be asked to stay on the job for the remainder of the school year.  My initial thought was to take the job.  It just made sense.  I enjoyed the position and the money would have been nice.  But during the day that I had to ponder the decision, God reminded me of the reasons a full-time job did not fit my goals.  I would have no time to re-charge.  The time I did have with my family would be spent doing the chores that I usually did on my day off during the week.  I would not be able to sub in the other elementary building where my other boys go to school. (They love when mommy is in the building).  I would end up more overwhelmed and stressed as time went on.  Is that what is best for my family?  So I made the tough decision and turned the job down.  It didn't make sense to some people, but I knew it was right for me and I felt complete peace.

Now for the "immeasurably more than I could ask for" part. A few days after turning down the job, the principal approached me and asked how I would feel about staying on in the position, but only 3 days a week!  WHAT?! Seriously?! I could have the best of both worlds?  He was able to arrange it for me to work 3 days a week and someone else to cover the other 2.  They were pleased with my job performance and wanted me to stay. I was/am completely in awe of the way God rewarded my faithfulness. I now have 3 days a week continuing in the position I enjoy, 1 day a week that I can pick up a sub job elsewhere if I choose, and 1 day to myself.  His plans are certainly better than mine~

1 comment:

Bethany said...

THANK YOU, Jeanette, for ALL you do!
:-)