Friday, January 4, 2013

New Years Resolutions

What is my New Years resolution this year?  To take the time to hear from God and be obedient to what He asks of me.  Period.

I read this in a devotional yesterday. "Most New Year's resolutions have little effect on day-to-day life except to add a burden of guilt and a feeling of failure.  Continually striving, yet never arriving".  Sure, it's good to have goals and identify priorities.  But I don't want to put expectations on myself that will continually leave me feeling as though I don't measure up. 

Substitute teaching is helping me to be more flexible.  I can't have my day, or my week, planned out.  I've learned to have a rough idea of what I'd like to do, but be willing to change at a moments notice.  It has been an adjustment not being home as often.  My house has seen cleaner days...my meals have been planned out more in advance...and my boys have had more clean underwear :)  And of course I've had more time to read and blog.  But on the flip side: I've been able to fill a need in our community, I have a better understanding of my boys school routines and the friends they interact with, and my boys love having mommy be a part of their day.  What was once terrifying is becoming more comfortable.  I am enjoying all the different roles I get to fill and people I get to interact with.  I am able to set aside my fear and trust God while walking into the unknown...and I am thriving!  This reminder of God's faithfulness could not have come at a better time. Many changes are on the horizon...

Andy Stanley writes "Few things stretch and thus grow our faith like stepping into a ministry environment for which we feel unprepared".  Where might God be calling you to step out in faith?



No comments: