Monday, June 7, 2010

Lessons Learned from My Flowerbed

Our front landscaping is nearly complete. It feels good to step back and see the result of all our hard work. We have depended on the knowledge and advice of many friends and were even given some starter plants. And this would not have been possible without the dedication and labor of my wonderful husband. Many thanks to everyone who has helped.











I have learned a few things during this process of creating our flowerbeds.


1. Plants look much smaller once you plant them than they do at the greenhouse.


2. Do not order plants bareroot unless you are prepared to wait a while to see something that resembles what you ordered.



3. The beauty of the flowerbed is not only what you see initially, but what you imagine it will look like. I know the potential each plant has to grow and bloom. I have planted in faith of what will come. So now I need to nurture them to maturity and watch what will happen. It's kind of like raising kids. My joy comes from the present, but also hope for the future and what it will bring.

4. All things of beauty take effort to maintain. It didn't take long for weeds to rear their ugly heads. Now I will need to learn to recognize the plants from the weeds, especially in the spring when I hear they can look very similar.


5. Working outside and rainfall must be connected somehow...


6. Solar landscaping lights and children are not very compatible! Super glue and duct tape are good to have on hand.


7. Landscaping is addicting. We already have future projects in mind. I never knew I would enjoy it so much!


So now we wait, and water, and weed. Waiting on things to grow and blossom and spread. Appreciating all the beautiful variations of plants and flowers that God has created.

1 comment:

Kim said...

It looks great!